Friday, December 7, 2018

Web Comics!


I read A Year in Waiting by E.K. Weaver and I really enjoyed the comedy and vulnerability she showed and how bluntly she told her story. I related to it a lot, having worked in customer service myself for a long time. I’ve had jobs where I went to sketchy places and sold vacuums door to door and ones where I cleaned college dorms and bathrooms, yet working retail was the worst job I’ve ever had and I noticed a lot of similarities between that and her job as a waitress. I think that’s what made this comic so compelling. Nobody really talks about the horrors of customer service and a lot of the time the people working those jobs are seen as incompetent, when in reality it’s a lot of hard work and is extremely demanding. Also, as she showed, a lot of the workers have side jobs or are students on top of being a part of the wait staff. Her drawings really emphasized for me how exhausting that type of work is. Especially the part where she drew her “Care-o-meter” being depleted after a long shift. You really don’t have any room left to care about anything after working somewhere that makes you smile for 8 hours straight. I think her comedic approach to the her depressing job was really admirable and the fact that she made such a great comic about it is really inspiring.

For this week I decided to post a comic I made in Comic Club a little while ago. It isn't related to what I read but I thought I would take this opportunity to post it online. We all made comics inspired by the themes of "Florida Man" and "Weather" and published them in a little zine we sold at Paper Jam. This course really inspired me to experiment with comics and their form. Before I always found making comics really intimidating but seeing all the different ways that people approach it through the readings in this course has really inspired me.

Link:

https://tapas.io/series/freaking-florida

No comments:

Post a Comment